Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1/23 Tornadoes

Y'all. My town was rocked by the tornadoes that hit the state on January 23. Because I work for the local government, this week has been insane. Just like I imagine next week will be. This is my 3rd 14 hour day, and I am barely able to function, let alone write a post that will eloquently sum up this part of my life. There is no grace at this end. I am dragging. I barely have enough energy to eat.

But, I will say that this little community of less than 10,000 people has completely blown me away. I am in a constant state of wonder at how these citizens take care of each other. This little town is genuinely a warm, loving family. It sounds heartless to say this, but it's amazing what kind of good is brought out of people when faced with this kind of devastation.

Personally, I have not really been able to process this. There just hasn't really been time enough for me to wind down enough to think about it. I got to take a police tour of the areas hit by the tornado. Wow. That is all I can say. The devastation is unreal. Truly unreal. And this is the first time (thank God) that this little city has had to deal with this sort of thing. But wow. "Wow" to the damage, but mostly "wow" to the response. I still can't believe how amazing this city it. Also, just for future reference: the churches here have been unbelievable. They have really stepped up to the plate and provided leadership, shelter, work, food, and whatever else can be imagined. We wouldn't be able to make it to day 3 without the work of the local (and statewide) churches. Thank you so much, for showing what true Christianity is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment