Thursday, July 26, 2012

Where I'm From

I am from cheese sandwiches, from gritty Ajax cleanser and instant coffee.
I am from the blue house in the alley with the split rail fence and a triangle shaped bathtub in an added-on bathroom.
I am from honeysuckle and freshly mowed grass, and pansies by the mailbox.
I am from coffee anytime and electrifying smiles, from Bonifacio and Maria and Irene and Robert.
I am from game-cheaters, sore losers, and terrible winners.
From "piddle-assing around" and "mind your manners."
I am from questioning and doubt, and finding joy in God's overwhelming grace.
I'm from the Magic City and Hawaiian war brides, the homemade pancit and Christmas tea cakes.
From the boy whose house burnt down on Christmas day, and a disappointed grandmother who always wanted a blue eyed baby.
I am from a bookshelf in the office, a box of school papers on the top shelf of a closet, from catching fireflies, and belly laughs.


Poetry project inspired by George Ella Lyon. Template from this site.

1 comment:

  1. UM, LOVE this one! you should be a writer! kind of made me tear up a little

    ReplyDelete