Monday, January 20, 2014

Shirley

Baby R & I just got back from a weekend road trip to North Carolina. We were there for the funeral of a very, very special lady, my Aunt Shirley. Heads up, this post is pretty much stream of thought and not at all planned because I didn't plan to share this on this platform, but because of what I witnessed this weekend and the way she has touched so many lives, I feel the need to document it somewhere and since this is my journal... well...

It's strange because I still don't know how to process it. I still expect to see this beautiful, tall woman with her radiant smile next Christmas. I still expect to be wrapped up in one of her all encompassing hugs. But, I'm not writing this to talk about how I haven't really processed the loss yet. I'm writing to talk about what a special woman she was.

You know how Christians always talk about reflecting the light of God and living in a Christlike manner? Well she did exactly that.
She was loving. And giving. And welcoming. And stern. And she made you a better person because you didn't want to disappoint her. And she shared the love of God with everyone she met. And she fought cancer with dignity and grace. She made people stop and stare because she had that inner light that comes from the joy and peace and hope in knowing this life was only temporary and that the best is yet to come.

And wow. That kind of life just makes you stop and think. She makes you reflect on your own life. Am I living it in a way that truly honors God? (The answer is no. I am selfish and lazy and pretentious and exclusive.) Am I a lighthouse? Am I a beacon? Do I live in this world, but a part from it? Do I live differently enough that people stop and wonder what I have because they want it? Do I share the love of God and the joy of knowing Him? (Also, no. I don't do any of those things. I get bogged down in the day to day problems.)

When we walked into the church where her celebration of life was held on Saturday, I was astounded. The place was packed. They even had to prepare an overflow room for people who wanted to celebrate her legacy. And what a legacy she left. And what a celebration it was.

So, thanks Aunt Shirley. You were amazing in life. A beacon. A light house. A mirror of God's love. And in death you continue to challenge us to live better and love deeper.



No comments:

Post a Comment