Monday, September 30, 2013

R's Third Week

Health: Baby R now weighs about 8.7 lbs! I can really tell he's growing too! He's so much heavier & longer than he was in the hospital. I'm both excited to watch my baby grow & so sad to know that he will never be this little again. He lost his umbilical stump this week. He's officially a baby & not a newborn to me anymore. His face is starting to fill out too! His little cheeks are so cute & fluffy. Alright. I'm going to stop talking about how adorable my baby is now. :)
R has still been having gas problems. Poor guy is so uncomfortable & I wish that I could do something to help him. We did start using a formula for sensitive tummies, but we haven't been using it long enough to really be able to tell if it's making a difference. We're also still using gas drops about 3x each day. 
Time for poop talk.... We thought he was constipated one day this week. He had no dirty diapers & was almost inconsolable & just really working hard to get something moving. I was waiting for the doctors office to open to talk to the pediatrician (you know to get his opinion before I try any internet remedies) & Baby R had a blowout. I've never been so happy to see poop in my life!
Other than his gassy tummy, Baby R seems to be really thriving. He's very alert & very smart. Did I mention he's been rolling tummy to back for over a week now? Because he is. I originally thought it was a fluke, but he keeps doing it & proving me wrong. Such a smart, stubborn boy!


Sleep: Going so much better! I really think we are starting to settle into some kind of routine. (Watch. Now that I've said that he's going to change his sleeping habits tonight.) We really try to do our night time routine & put him to bed around 7-8ish. That doesn't always happen & I have to remind myself that it's not the end of the world if he isn't in his pj's by 7:30... Sometimes our lives get in the way of the schedule & we don't get home until after 8, which is fine with me since R loves sleeping in the car. Anyway, after he's in bed he's pretty much a champion sleeper. He usually sleeps until about 1 or 2 (although he did wake up at 11 one time this week) to eat & goes right back to sleep until around 4:30 or 5. He usually eats at this time too & then I try to put him back to sleep, but it's more difficult. He usually wakes up about 3-5 times before settling back to sleep. Then he's up for the day anywhere from 6am to 8am. He seems pretty content in his crib in the early morning so I don't rush to get him up right away. He really likes looking around at the light & shadows I guess, so I leave him in there until he starts crying. Then we eat & play & dance & talk. The days are a little less structured as far as his sleeping goes. In general he gets at least one good 2-3 hour nap in (sometimes he gets 2!) during the day. Sometimes it's in the morning & sometimes it's in the afternoon. I can never really tell. He spends the rest of the day eating, playing, & cat napping on me.


Activities: R loves being held! The only time we can really put him down is when he's on his play mat. And that's usually only for about 15 minutes at a time. He likes to go on walks in his stroller too. But we spend a majority of the day snuggling because once he falls asleep in my arms I generally don't move or put him down because he wakes up so easily during the days.



Visitors: He got to visit with grandparents & church friends. We also took a trip to visit my advisor at my old college.


Mom & Dad: I think we're starting to get used to having a little dictator in the house. J continues to be a great dad & takes the first night time feeding which let's me sleep through almost the entire night! 
I feel like the emotional fog is finally starting to lift. Still waiting to feel "happy" but I feel less bad in general. I think we are really starting to bond. I've gained few pounds & am sitting right at my prepregnancy weight. It's safe to say that my appetite has definitely returned!



Thoughts: Right now, I'm just basking in the newness of being a mommy and falling more in love with Baby R & J each day. It's amazing how quickly he's growing up already! And, I am so, so thankful to have finally gotten out of the baby blues phase of this whole thing. Now, I can finally love on this baby like I've always wanted. Happy 3 weeks, Baby Boy! I can't believe you'll be a whole month old soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment