Monday, February 18, 2013

Summertime Maternity

I've been considering maternity clothes for awhile now. I'm not looking to buy a whole new wardrobe, but I can't just wear sweatpants to work everyday. So, I've been looking online at different options. And I've come to the conclusion that affordable plus size maternity clothes are definitely lacking. This could be a really wonderful and prosperous niche that clothing retailers could fill. Do they think fat people don't get pregnant? I mean, there are some places that offer maternity clothes at pretty outrageous prices. There's no way I can justify spending $60 on a pair of jeans I will only wear for a few months.

I'm not really complaining, but I do want this blog to document my experience with pregnancy (and eventually motherhood) and this is one of them.

After doing some research - mostly online browsing - I've made a couple of polyvore sets with different maternity outfits using the same basic affordable pieces. I tried to limit myself to a couple of shirts under $25.00 and a couple of pairs of pants under about $35.00. I found that the most affordable places like Target and Old Navy really only go up to a 2X, which I think will probably fit me, but not anyone bigger than me. I took a little bit of liberty with the accessories. Normally, I don't wear jewelry, but the right accessories really do complete an outfit and I may suck it up & start wearing some.

p.s. I actually bought these white capris. They are work appropriate and only $15.00!!!


Summertime Maternity














The items I stuck with are: White Capris, Black Pants, Dark Wash Jeans, 4 Maternity Shirts (coral, blue, red and white stripe, black and white stripe), Black Dress and Coral Dress.

I stuck with sandals because it'll be summer when I'm biggest and I am pretty sure my feet will swell. The necklaces are from Target and Claires. They're a little more than I'd spend on jewelry, but are pretty reasonably priced for people who actually wear that sort of thing.

Anyhow, this exercise has made me see that I only realllllly need these few items to get me through a long hot summer working in a business casual office. When we get our tax return, I may actually buy some maternity shirts.

Also, for the record, I do plan to look at places like Ross and TJ Maxx, but they don't really have their stock online, so I can't really do anything with those stores.


No comments:

Post a Comment