Wednesday, May 15, 2013

24 Weeks



How far along:
24 weeks. Six months. WOW!


How big is the baby:
Baby is the size of an ear of corn.
-image via Babycenter


Weight gain/Maternity clothes:
Starting Weight: 291
Current Weight: 293.8
Total Gain: +2.8
First time in the pregnancy that I've actually got a + in front of the second number. I'm not going to lie, it's a little scary. I know that technically I should gain 10-15 lbs, but this number makes me nervous since he's still got so much growing to do. Guess it's time to kick the milkshake-a-day habit. (Kidding, I don't drink one every day.)

Movement?
Yes! He actually took me by surprise at work this week. Also on Sunday morning after one of my hourly bathroom trips I was lying in bed with my hand on my tummy and actually felt his tiny kick/punch. He's getting bigger and stronger! Now, if only J could feel him.

Food cravings/aversions?
Loves: milk (drink about 1/2 gallon/day), sweet tea with lemon, lots of sweet cold things (milkshakes, icees, decaf frappuccinos), pineapple, and watermelon.
Hates: nothing comes to mind

Gender?
BOY!

Symptoms?
fatigue, headaches, constipation, vivid dreams, big belly, elevated temperature, mild swelling, heartburn, pain in sides below ribs, hip pain, back aches. I'm just starting to feel uncomfortable in general.

What do I miss?
Sitting at work comfortably for more than 30 minutes (my sides start aching after about that long).

This Week:
Ryker is growing so much! He gained about 4 ounces since last Wednesday. His brain is also growing quickly and his tastebuds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" and cells that produce surfactant (which will help inflate the air sacs once he makes it outside.
-From Babycenter.com

This may be a bit morbid, but also this week his chances of survival outside the womb have reached 50%. This is the week that most doctors would begin to intervene medically to keep babies alive if they're born this early. Up until now a baby's entrance into the world would be considered by medical professionals as a late term miscarriage. For some reason, this week has really been a huge goal for me. I feel like I can breathe a bit easier now that we've made it this far. Don't get me wrong, I want Ryker to stay in there and grow until at least 37 weeks. It's just kind of a relief to know that if something did happen then lifesaving measures would now be taken.

Bump Shot: 24 Weeks (I feel like the angle of this picture makes my belly look bigger than it actually is.)








No comments:

Post a Comment